... the safe, smart AM read for college basketball fans
We are only seven days away from Selection Sunday, and three schools (Murray State, Belmont, UNC-Asheville) have already punched their tickets to the dance. Bid thieves are out in full force however, and the Northtwesterns and Xaviers of the world remain in a precarious position as they hope to sneak into the field with a final push.
Time to get pumped, people. March Madness, the greatest postseason stretch in sports, has arrived at our doorsteps. And the best part? It always lives up to the hype.
Recapping a Saturday's loaded slate of games after the jump...
* Steve Prohm on his team's NCAA seed: "Your nonconference RPI is No. 2. You have three top-30 wins. You haven’t lost a neutral site or road game all year. You’re 30-1. I could see a No. 2 seed, but I understand the business side of it, too." (Louisville Courier-Journal)
* A pair of Tyler Brown free throws sent Illinois State, and not Wichita State, to Sunday's MVC title game against Creighton (Chicago Tribune)
* Revenge: The Heels walked in to Cameron and put on a rebounding clinic Carolina March)(
* The return of Jim Calhoun: Are the Huskies dangerous again?The UConn Blog)(
* Gonzaga staved off BYU in the WCC semisVanquish The Foe)(
Illinois State - The Redbirds knocked off No. 15 Wichita State by a mere point in the MVC semis, representing the school's first win over a ranked opponent since December 29, 1987. Illinois State now gets Creighton in the title at 2:05 EST today and could theoretically steal a bid from a school in close proximity (Northwestern?) with another surprise win.
Seton Hall - Nothing screams NIT quite like a bubble team getting whipped by 28 points by a lowly DePaul team. The Pirates came into yesterday's game with a chance to move to a very respectable 9-9 in the Big East, but are now forced to make serious noise at the Garden this week.
6:46 - Amount of time before Southern Cal scored its first point against Washington State. The Trojans shot 28.9% from the field and produced a pitiful 38 points on the day.